Typist: A Quick Typing Test v1.6
See how fast you can type with a quick typing test! The Typist: A Quick Typing Test includes 10 different typing tests, with options for 1, 2, or 3 minute tests. Features charts of your typing speed results so you can see your progress over time, leaderboards/high score list support, and detailed results (words per minute, errors, letters with the most errors). Improve your typing speeds with The Typist!
NOTE: The Typist does not work in landscape mode on mobile phones (it does work on HDPI tablets/phablets) due to the way Android displays the keyboard and input box in landscape. Sorry, this is not fixable!
* This is the free, ad-supported edition of The Typist. The ad-free ++ version has 10 more typing tests and removes all ads. Get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thetypist.typingtests.noads *
* Test your typing speed with different speed tests based on popular books
* 1, 2, and 3 minute tests for the ultimate in typing test flexibility
* Detailed results page: see your words per minute score, total number of errors, and mistyped letters
* Track your progress with a chart of your past typing test results
* Compete against your friends with Google Play leaderboards and local high score list
* Compatible with different keyboard layouts - try them out with The Typist and see which ones actually help you type faster
* Supports both phones and tablets
* Free updates and support for life!
* No weird permissions (see below), annoying notifications, or crazy pop-ups
* Want to support The Typist's development? Please unlock the full version of The Typist (removes ads) within the app!
Got a question, comment, or suggestion about The Typist? Send it to [email protected]!
What exactly is The Typist?
- The Typist is a fun romp through the world of competitive typing! Ok, no, it's actually a typing test app that lets you test your typing speed with texts from popular books. It's a good way to see how fast you can type on your phone or tablet, test out different kinds of keyboard layouts, or track your typing improvement over time.
Why are my typing test scores so low?!
- The Typist: Typing Tests calculates your final words per minute typing score by taking your raw wpm typing speed and subtracting any errors that you made. This can result in some pretty low scores as every mistake is a 1 wpm penalty. Thankfully, your score can't go below 0 or we'd have a riot here in Typing Land!
Making typing errors in real life generally means that you have to go back and fix them. So The Typist uses this penalty mechanic as a way to make things a little more realistic.
Are there any permissions required?
- There are four permissions required by The Typist: internet, network state, Google Play billing, and startup notification. This version of The Typist is ad-supported (boo!) and needs the first two to serve ads, and billing permission is necessary to allow purchasing the full version. Startup notification is needed for the optional daily notification feature. It does not need access to your contacts, location, or your Facebook account.
Can The Typist improve my typing speed?
- While not scientifically proven, I'd like to say yes! The only way to improve your typing speed is to practice - and by taking a typing test or two a day, you should see an improvement in your typing speed over time. The Typist does include a nice chart of your past test results, so you can view your progress. There's also a high score list/leaderboard to give you some extra motivation!
Is The Typist usable in landscape mode?
- Yes and no. Landscape mode on phones isn't supported (because there isn't enough space to fit everything - NOT SOMETHING I CAN FIX!), but it will work on any HDPI+ (high dpi) tablet (Nexus 7, Nexus 10, etc) device.
Recommended for You