Professor Theodory Constantin has spent several years preparing this English-Arabic Mounged.
As it is a dictionary of general culture, he mostly avoided rare expressions and meanings. Instead, he selected those in common use without, however, neglecting technical expressions that belong to the ordinary intellectual baggage of the cultured Arab reader. The lack of linguistic uniformity among Arab countries has, unfortunately, made him give numerous Arabic synonyms.
The author has tried to translate succinctly in a practical way, avoiding approximations and theorizing. What has helped him is – and it is one of the most important characteristics of the Mounged – that he submitted his translation to the test of example, for only the latter permits one to verify the correctness and practicability of the desired word.
Last, but not least, Professor Theodory has also translated English idioms and figurative expressions not with explanatory phrases, but with Arabic idioms and figures when available.
• Dictionary database contains about 85,000 entries.
• English sound module contains over 51,000 entries by native speakers.
Convenient search methods allow you to find any word in a number of different ways:
• Headword search
• Search for anagrams (bat-tab)
• Search within entries to narrow down and quickly navigate larger entries
• Wildcard search to find the word even if you don’t know its exact spelling
• Similar words search in case of misspelling
• Three input methods make dictionary word look-ups more convenient than ever. Search by voice with Google Voice recognition service (available for English and Arabic languages), take a picture of text and translate it with Google Goggles (available for English language), or enter the word with your own handwriting using Paragon's PenReader handwriting recognition software (available for English and Arabic languages).
• Easy copy-and-paste functions allow unknown words or phrases to be copied from an active application like the web browser or email to the clipboard, and automatically translated by switching back to dictionary.
• Translate unknown words or phrases from any application, including web browser or email, using the Share button. The feature allows you to send copied text to the dictionary directly and get the translation in one click!
• English morphology module helps to translate words in any grammatical form.
• Look up unfamiliar words in dictionary directly from the home screen! The dictionary provides translations in a Quick Search Box alongside other search results.
• Full linguistic information – with declension and conjugation tables – is included, making the dictionary a must-have for any language scholar (available for English language)!
• Word of the Day—a random dictionary definition daily.
• Lightning-fast new engine allows dictionary entries to open as soon as you click with no delays.
• Favorites - to quickly access frequently searched words.
• Dictionary installation on SD card.
• Search History feature shows the last 100 words looked up.
• Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
• No Internet connection required.
Paragon Software joined the Open Dictionary API Alliance, a unique resource providing the access to premium dictionary content for all members of the Alliance. Join us at http://dictionary-api.org and enjoy the opportunity to enrich your apps with a high quality and trusted source of reference from the world’s famous publishers.
Recommended for You